Thursday, 8 August 2013

Subtraction vs Multiplication

I'm staring at a blank screen, with absolutely no idea what I'm doing. I'm not sure what I want to say, but I know I want to say it.

Do you know how that feels?

Do I just want to be heard, or is there something substantial to explore?

I think all of us have those little voices, the ones that whisper to us and tell us what to think and say and feel. One voice or many voices, they're always giving advice or reassurance.

Can you read between the lines?

There is always more and there is always less. Those are two absolutes, two constants in a cosmos of inconsistencies. People usually want more: money, power, friends, love. There's something to be said for quality over quantity, but that's just a humble opinion from a not-so-humble fella.

Why don't we want less? It seems like so many people complain about the things they do have: problems, debts, stress. Instead of wanting more of the thing that you think will make you happy, why don't you seek less of the thing that makes you unhappy.

It's kind of like putting a donut in tofu stew. It doesn't matter how much you like donuts, because eventually you're going to sour on them when mixed with tofu stew. It's inevitable, like terrible Australian Drama.

Speaking of, that's something I could do with less of.

Less is more, or so the saying goes. Here I'm saying that maybe less is just less, and maybe that's not such a bad thing.

Here's to sparsity; to minimalism and infrequency. To lacking instead of excess. To the gentle trickle, rather than the flowing waterfall.

No comments:

Post a Comment